Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Savory Spanish Rice & Beans Gratin

My mother would always make us Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice or Chicken with our dinners growing up. Actually, she started with that "San Francisco Treat" but eventually started to make her own, superior versions of our favorite side dish. She would just add a can of diced tomatoes to the rice and it would give it just that little kick to bring the Spanish flavor! She basically inspired me to get creative when trying to imitate my favorite foods and thus, I created a casserole from one of my childhood side dishes. 


Ingredients:

  • 2 servings rice                              ($0.75)
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes        ($0.62)
  • ½ green pepper, diced                 ($0.35)
  • ½ red pepper, diced                     ($0.99)
  • 1 can mixed vegetables               ($0.65)
  • 1 can black beans                        ($0.99)
  • ½ jar fried onions                         ($0.42)

Preparation:


Preheat the oven to 350°F. I use a wonderful rice cooker from Japan by the brand Zojirushi that cooks wonderful fluffy rice. I just added a can of diced tomatoes to the cooker and made sure the liquid measurements were correct and it cooked beautifully! If you are using a pan and the stove, just cook the rice as per usual and stir in a can of diced tomatoes after it has finished. Layer the rice in the bottom of a casserole dish. Drain a can of mixed vegetables and pour over the rice. Dice the peppers and toss on top of the rice as well. Drain and rinse the black beans and again, add on top. Finally, top with fried onions and throw it in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned and crispy! Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and plating. 


Cooking rice with diced tomatoes adds a richness and tangy depth



This dish is very colorful and vitamin packed!





Avocado is my most FAVORITE food ever. I will seriously add
it to any food ever. Ever. So naturally, I added avocado here
AND IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!




There you have it, folks. A European twist on the casserole that will be sure to satisfy. Let me know what you guys think in the comments! I hope to hear from some of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment