Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

BLT Mac & Cheeze

While blog surfing for vegan mac and cheese recipes to satisfy my constant cheese cravings, I discovered the Post Punk Kitchen! Run by Isa Chandra, author or some of the most popular vegan cookbooks, PPK has amazing recipes, notes, and tips for a rookie chef like me. I decided to try some of her recipes out and MAN OH MAN! So... I do not really miss bacon; I never really enjoyed it as an omnivore. BUT EGGPLANT BACON! This is a must-try, not only because it is crazy delicious, but it is crazy inexpensive too!

Ingredients:

  • 1 eggplant                                 ($1.20)
  • ¼ cup soy sauce                      ($0.07)
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke         ($0.03)
  • a drizzle of olive oil

Preparation:


Preheat the oven to 425°F. Slice the eggplant into ⅛ inch slices. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil so the eggplant does not stick. I have found this also makes the "bacon" a little crispier. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Remove the pan and flip the slices. Remove the slices if they are starting to become dark brown. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Remove and let cool. Dip the eggplant in a mixture of the soy sauce and liquid smoke. Make sure they are evenly coated. Lower the oven down to 350°F. Bake the bacon again for about 4 more minutes, just to reheat and let the smokiness of the sauce absorb into the eggplant. Time to MUNCH!

Wrap your baking tray with aluminum foil for a quick clean up!

I bought a big eggplant so I chopped the head off and cut it
in half before I sliced it
Smaller eggplants just need to be sliced

Try to slice it super thin so it will become crispy when baked

I used varying sizes for variety

Arrange neatly with no overlap so they bake evenly

The secret ingredient is liquid smoke! What an
amazing flavor!
HINT: for gluten-free, use tamari sauce

Make sure the pieces are crispy before dipping into the sauce
or they will fall apart

VEGAN BACON DELICIOUSNESS

So that is the B part of the BLT. Isa suggests using arugula for the L because lettuce is just SO BORING! I agree. T for tomatoes and now it is time to make the cheeze sauce! I altered her recipe slightly, using less lemon juice because it was a little too citrusy for my liking. 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup cashews (soaked)       ($1.66)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth           ($0.70)
  • 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast        ($0.85)
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice      ($0.15)
  • 2 tsp. dijon mustard              ($0.08)
  • 1 medium clove of garlic      ($0.26)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:


Soak the cashews for at least 2 hours; I usually soak them overnight. Be sure to plan for the cashews expanding slightly; use plenty of water and completely submerge them. Drain the cashews and place all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Cook some pasta al dente and drain it. Add the cheeze mixture and pasta back into the same pot the pasta cooked in. Cook for an additional 3 minutes on medium heat until warmed through. Top with the eggplant bacon, arugula, and tomatoes for the tastiest mac and cheese recipe since Kraft EasyMac!

Cashews work well because they are a naturally soft nut
They give the cheeze a slight sweetness

I use a Magic Bullet Blender, so it took a little bit longer to blend
the ingredients until smooth

Make sure to use raw cashew pieces
Roasted cashews will not soak correctly

Due to the locking feature, I was able to take the lid off
while blending and take this picture
No mess was made but I do not endorse this behavior

While the water was boiling for the pasta
I sliced the tomatoes in half

Grape tomatoes work well for this recipe
They are already bite-sized and slightly sweeter
They also make the final product look pretty

I used brown rice penne pasta to avoid gluten

OH MY GAWD
This seriously has turned into one of my most favorite meals
Huge shoutout to Isa Chandra at the Post Punk Kitchen
So there you have it. If you are ever missing cheese and think you may not be able to make it another day without the delightful dairy product, make this recipe and all shall be well with the world.

4 comments:

  1. Shout out to coolato for those perfectly halved tomatoes. I'm making this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! it is delicious caitlin! and you taught me how to make salads at coolato so thank you for that! :-) i miss you so much! thank you for reading my blog and commenting! it made my day!

      Delete
  2. The step by step picture guide rocks! Nice job. This dish looks beautiful and sounds yummy. I hope to create it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow thank you for commenting! i love providing step by step instructions. if you make this please comment and let me know how you like it?! thank you for reading!

      Delete