Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Not-So-Sinful Veggie Bagel Burger




"This tastes like I am in Grease!" 

Even though I am a vegan, I confess: the greasy, fried, fat-saturated taste of the hamburgers I used to
eat is still oddly desirable.  I was unable to satisfy this craving with any veggie burger until I stumbled onto this recipe. Believe me, you'll feel like you're sinning against the Vegan Goddess, but you'll be eating a healthy vegan treat!

I first discovered this recipe when I was knocking around my parents' refrigerator and stumbled upon some sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts. This was a surprise because my parents are basically carnivorous dairy guzzlers. Woe to the vegan who dines at their residence! 

I grabbed the box of veggie burgers that I had just purchased at Costco, and tossing everything haphazardly together in 5 minutes, I discovered and then devoured this delectable dinner. 

Ingredients


  • 1 whole grain bagel, sliced
  • 1 veggie burger patty
  • 2 tbsp. hummus
  • 1 handful baby spinach
  • 4 artichoke hearts, halved
  • 6 sun-dried tomatoes


Cooking Instructions

bon appétit! 
Heat enough olive oil to coat the pan on medium heat for two minutes, then fry both sides of the patty until crispy. While the burger is frying, spread hummus on both sides of the bagel. Top the hummus with spinach, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes. Allow patty to cool for 1-2 minutes. Place patty on top of vegetable mix, then cover with the second half of the bagel. Enjoy!


Conclusion

Eating vegan is not some fancy, hoity-toity, Chanel-toting socialite's way of acting like she is better than everyone else. (Except for Todd; he is better than most people.) Anyone can be vegan, including impoverished, minimum-wage earning, 20-something college students. The struggle of leading a vegan lifestyle is easier than it appears. Keep reading this blog, and for the love of animals, partake not in the meat, nor the breast milk, nor the ovum of any creature with a face.





*photo by Matt Iden. Post written by +Matt Iden. Edited by +Emily Moore and Jonathan Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment